Thursday, March 10, 2011

Let's Pretend We Don't Exist, Let's Pretend We're In Antartica!

Week 7

Well this week was an... interesting work week for our political protest projects. Some new developments regarding the passing of the Collective Bargaining Rights Bill, which is basically the "cheaters" version of the State Budget Bill, Now allows Mr. Scott Walker to strip every state worker of their unions and their bargaining rights that they have worked for for the last 50 years. Makes you just want to jump out of school and join the work force doesn't it?! I know so many people have their opinions of what has transpired, but as hypocritical as I might sound, it all happens for a reason. And whatever that reason is, we'll just have to find ways to work around it. No pun intended for the work force of Wisconsin of course.

So what does this mean in terms of my project?
Well it gave me a sense of direction that's for sure. At first I intended to try and make a statement about how much of a dislike I hold for politics... but now I feel this need to poke some fun at the situation. I guess innately more at Walker then at anything else. But after hearing about the whole situation with the hasty voting and the push to pass this bill under the noses of the democrats who did not vote, I figure that Walker is sitting in Madison feeling pretty good about himself. While the protesters on the other hand are making riots in Madison trying to assemble petitions and beat politicians only seconds after the results of the voting. So in my head this translates to a very stupidly happy grin plastered on Walker and some disapproving frowns gracing the faces of the masses. Yup, the overtly animated faces I'm referring to come in the nicely expressive form of emoticons. So during this week I've started working on the computer to superimpose these faces onto pictures of said politicians.

Here's what I've got so far:

So my job over spring break, is to take this idea and figure out just how to translate it. I'm really unsure if I want to represent these images in photo-realism, creating juxtaposition between the cartoonish faces and the realistic bodies, or translating these ideas into a form of political cartoon. I kind of like the idea of both. In terms of size and representations, I think that a tv or computer screen size would be perfect. But if anybody else has suggestions that would be fabulous. I'm also juggling the idea of a diptych because it would put a nice tension between the "derpy" politicians and the "unamused" protesters.

Well as much work as I seem to have over spring break. I plan to thoroughly enjoy the break. Have a good one everybody.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you were in the hospital over break! Bummer, but project extensions are always nice :) I am eager to see this project manifest! I think using humor to address the situation is fitting in the idea of protest. It's protesting protest in a way...it's like making something packed with anger and emotion light and fluffy at first glance, when the deeper problem exists within. Trying to bring light on a dreadful situation is not only effective, but sometimes quite refreshing since the negative qualities are strongly emphasized. I think your playful attitude is fitting to the future piece, can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely with what you said about having everything happen for a reason, as hypocritical as that sounds. And your pun was very entertaining. Your idea seems to be coming together really nicely. I agree that a dyptic would be a really good idea for this piece. I hope you enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete