Saturday, February 26, 2011

Watch it spin around into a beautiful oblivion

Week 3

This week was a work week to keep refining out ideas for our mapping project. Sadly my work week hasn't been anywhere near normal. On Tuesday I has to forgo a class period in order to work on a video production assignment that is due next tuesday. We are supposed to create a "music driven short" and I wanted to get down and do some filming in Devil's Punchbowl before the weather warmed up and all of the ice melted. Granted, I wasn't expecting filmfing to take 4 hours, expecially when the movie is only going to be one minute long. Either way, I'm glad to have it done, now I can get back to focusing on real things.

I started thinking about the initial critique of mapping ideas. When we looked at it in groups, I was told that my idea of "burning" my paths into the map needed something more. I started doing some thinking about how I could transform the idea of "burning paths" and my ideas of emotion and expression. I came to the conclusion that since this project is mappiong out the paths of my life, I would do a little experimentation and use blood as a medium in my work. When I looked up blood as an artistic medium, and started thinking about it's properties I realized that I would run into a few problems that I would have to solve in order to make this successful.

1) Where and how am I going to get blood to paint with?
2) How do I combat the coagulating properties of blood? (I'd rather not try to paint with jello)
3) How would blood react with other mediums and surfaces that I'd want to do my work on.

We'll see how this turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment